May 2011, MLIS, Library and Information Science, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
December 2005, A.B. History, Classics minor, (Artium Baccalaureatus, a bachelor’s degree with an emphasis on Latin or Ancient Greek) College of Charleston, Charleston, SC
Teen Services Librarian, East Baton Rouge Parish Library, River Center Branch Library, October 2012- present
-Develop programs for patrons ages 12 to 17, deliver book talks at local school and the juvenile detention center, assist patrons both at the circulation desk and on the 2nd floor which houses the library’s adult fiction, children’s and teen collections.
-Supervise 3 employees, one full-time and two part-time.
-Assist the branch manager in the daily operations of a community branch library.
Intern, College of Charleston, Addlestone Library, Reference Department, Spring Semester 2011, 3 hours institutional credit, unpaid, 135 contact hours.
- assisted in the Interlibrary Loan office, which included processing book requests for PASCAL, an intrastate loan system for SC academic libraries, and learning the functions of interlibrary loan.
- Observed several bibliographic instruction classes from the reference librarians in the department
- Developed a pathfinder for French Language Films for use in the library Media Collection.
- Worked the reference desk with the supervision of a reference librarian and handled in person, phone and IM queries.
Reference Library Assistant Main Library, Reference Department, Charleston County Public Library., October 2006 – Present.
- Provided general reference services in person, by phone, email, IM and SMS. Average about 20 hours per week at a public service point (reference and telephone reference center).
- Planned and implemented several book lectures centered on nonfiction publications, many of which were local authors.
- Delivered a presentation entitled Facebook for Small Business to a networking group focused on small business owners and those in nonprofits
- Initiated social media outreach using Facebook and Twitter for the library system. Currently maintain social media accounts with updates on library news, events and enrichment with the aid of department supervisors.
- Helped maintain an index of the local newspaper by indexing articles in the weekly Zones sections of the Post & Courier.
-Maintain a monthly book display for the Arts section of the circulating non-fiction collection.
- help with the daily activities in the Interlibrary Loan department,, as needed
Student Cataloging Assistant, College of Charleston, Robert S. Small Library, January 2002-April 2003
-processed incoming books to the circulating collection
Student Worker, Fort Dorchester High School, Media Center, North Charleston, SC
Academic Years 1998-2000, first year volunteer, second year paid
-worked the circulation desk, re-shelved books, helped students find materials, processed new materials acquired through grant funding.
Sales Associate, Gap,/Gap Kids, Mt Pleasant, SC November 2005-July 2007
-ran cash register, worked fitting rooms and sales floor in adult, kids and baby section in high-volume store.
Sales Associate, Brookstone, 121 Market St., Charleston, SC, June 2004-August 2005
-Ran cash register and sales floor which included demonstrations of large tickets items such as massage chairs and TempurPedic mattresses.
Camp Counselor, Carolina Low Country Girls Scouts, May-July (summer season)1997-1999
-Worked with girls of different age groups (6-16). Duties included planning lessons for the groups of campers at a Girl Scout resident camp.
SKILLS & TRAINING
-Very proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Publisher & Access)
-Basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, image and video editing.
-Very proficient in blog software platforms: Blogger, WordPress, Tumblr,
-Extensive knowledge of social media sites: Twitter, Facebbok, YouTube, Flickr, and many smartphone applications(most familiar w/ iPhone apps).
-Basic training in CONTENTdm and Greenstone and planning of digital collections..
-Completion of several database training classes offered through the South Carolina State Library on how to guide patrons through the use of state-funded research databases.
-Excellent PC troubleshooting skills for most minor problems.
-Languages- basic reading and speaking skills in Spanish, German and Latin.
October 2010- Presented a poster session at the South Carolina Library Association Annual Conference on Literary Events sponsored by Charleston County Public Library.
August 2010 – Contributed an article to the University of South Carolina’s School of Library and Information Science student newsletter SLIStenUp on my first time experience attending the ALA conference in Washington, D.C.
May 2009 – Delivered a presentation Facebook for Small Business, to a local nonprofit and small business networking group at the Charleston County Public Library.
October 2009- Present, South Carolina Library Association, attended annual conference 2009 & 2010.
August 2008-present, Library and Information Science Student Association, University of South Carolina
March 2010- present, American Library Association, attended annual conference in 2010 and 2011
October 2010 – present, Association of College and Research Libraries, Reference and User Services Association.
June 2011- present - represented my department on the Communication Committee for the CCPL in order to facilitate better communication among staff. Also, served as a moderator for the online staff forum.
June 2011- Volunteered with a local nonprofit, Palmetto Technology Hub, at their inaugural Nonprofit Bootcamp technology conference.
August 2010, February 2011 – Assisted two branches in the implementation of a self-checkout system. This included tagging with RFID tags and linking to the current ILS.
January – March 2009- Worked the Periodicals desk in the evenings due to a staffing shortage. Duties included helping patrons with microfilm machines, pulling microfilm, finding obituaries for patrons, and distributing daily papers.
Summer 2008 – Assisted at a Children’s Outreach table at the North Charleston Arts Festival
Linda Stewart, Interlibrary Loan Librarian, Charleston County Public Library, (843) 805-6940, firstname.lastname@example.org, known 5 years.
Tom Gilson, Head of Reference Services (retired), College of Charleston Addlestone Library, email@example.com, internship site supervisor.
Misty Jones, Deputy Director Central Division, San Diego Public Library, (619) 236-5873, firstname.lastname@example.org, direct supervisor for 3 years, known for 6 years.
Becky Melancon, Head of Reference Services, Charleston County Public Library, (843) 805-6951, email@example.com , department supervisor 5 years..